Munster A v Bedford Blues

Friday, 8 December, 2017 - 19:45
1st XV Cup
Won 14-25

Three was the magic number for Bedford Blues in Cork on Friday night as they ran in three tries against Munster A to pick up their third win out of three in the British & Irish Cup.

Having trailed 14-0 after half an hour, the Blues fought back magnificently in tough conditions with a brace of tries from Dean Adamson and one for Ed Taylor as well as ten points from the boot of Will Hooley to secure a 14-25 win over the current Cup holders.

Having travelled to Cork on Friday morning, the Blues were a little guilty of still being on the plane as they conceded a try within two minutes of the start. Jack Power went over for the home side after a smart James Hart grubber kick before Hart converted the score to give the hosts the lead.

Bedford were putting in some big hits through the likes of Josh Buggea, Jordan Onojaife and Alex Rae, but the home side went further ahead when Alex Henry managed to slip through the defence to score with Hart again slotting the extras.

The Blues got the proverbial kick up the backside they needed and certainly became more of a threat with Ollie Dodge, Elliot Clements-Hill, Ben Cooper and Jarad Williams all making good carries. Unfortunately, Rae had to be replaced soon afterwards but Will Carrick-Smith soon slotted into the pace of the game and helped the Blues comeback.

While Bedford's attacks had come to little so far, they certainly made the most of some space a few minutes before half time as phases came together and Taylor dotted down before Hooley converted well to make it 14-7.

Passions started to run high as the Blues began to gain more possession and territory. Doing what all good scrum halves do well, Jordan Burns was forcing mistakes from his opposite, not backing down an inch when the big boys tried to bully the situation and then calmly walk away when his work was done and the half time whistle soon blew.

Bedford started the second half in fine fashion with an early try as Adamson shot through a gap in the Munster defence following a sublime reverse pass from skipper Mike Le Bourgeois and Hooley duly converted to level the game. The fly half then converted a 52nd minute penalty to put Bedford ahead for the first time in the game.

It was certainly a baptism of fire for new signing Huw Worthington, but he certainly got stuck in and joined fellow replacement Alex Penny in helping the Blues scrum decimate their opposition to win a penalty which Hooley converted to extend Bedford's lead.

But the hosts still felt that they weren't out of the game and started hammering the Blues defence. Bedford had to work really hard with everyone mucking in to repel the strong Irish attacks. Tom Lindsay and Sean McCarthy put in big shifts while Rich Lane did his fair share of covering during numerous attacks from the men in red.

Bedford's defence was working overtime as the game went on and pleasingly, it was massively effective. Turnover balls were won and lineouts were disrupted leaving the hosts frustrated that they could finish off some good build-up play. 
The last word was to go to Bedford though as Adamson doubled his tally for the night by pouncing on a loose ball to seal the win for the Blues and bring four points back to Goldington Road.

Bedford and Munster face off again next weekend in Round Four of the British & Irish Cup. Buy discounted tickets now at and join us for our Christmas celebrations.


Next Home Match

Saturday 14th September
1st XV Pre Season
Goldington Road



See more pictures courtesy of Nigel Rudgard at