Bedford Blues three match winning run came to a halt on Saturday afternoon as they were defeated 52-28 by Yorkshire Carnegie in the British & Irish Cup at Selby Rugby Club.

The game kicked off 15 minutes later than scheduled due to the Blues coach breaking down en route to the match, but a second half blitz from Carnegie wrapped up the win for the hosts.

Things had started brightly for the Blues who came firing out the blocks and Myles Dorrian had put the visitors ahead with two well struck penalties, but there was further disruption as hooker Sam James had to be replaced early on in proceedings with a shoulder injury.

Carnegie responded almost immediately from the second penalty with their opening try – and the first of four for prop Rob O’Donnell – as a driving maul from a lineout trundled over the line and Warren Seals converted to make it 7-6.

Bedford didn’t let the score deter them though and they were soon back in front with a well worked try which saw a Blues driving maul roll forward before Edgson dotted down and Dorrian fired the extras.

It was back up the other end soon afterwards though as Lee Imiolek was stopped shy of the line, but O’Donnell was on hand to score an unconverted try.

Yorkshire’s Max Wright was sent to the sin bin for a deliberate knock on and Dorrian dispatched the resulting penalty to make it 12-16 but with the half coming to an end, Yorkshire retook the lead as O’Donnell completed his hat-trick when he broke from a driving maul.

A one point game was a fair reflection of the opening 40 minutes, but the second half was a different story as the hosts scored three converted tries which left the Blues with a mountain to climb.

The first came for Taylor Prell who exploited a gap in the Blues defence five minutes after the restart. A few minutes later, and O’Donnell crossed for his fourth from yet another driving maul before Wright gathered a ball punted up field to score. Seals converted all three and Bedford trailed 38-16.

Bedford replied with a try of their own as they won a scrum against the head which saw Jason Hill break before playing in Tom James who dummied brilliantly to open a gap and score. Jake Sharp added the extras.

But Carnegie truly turned the screw with two more tries. Prell crossed for his second after the hosts created a big overlap and then Andy Forsythe galloped clear from his own half to score. Seals converted both to make it 52-23.

The last score of the day did go to Bedford as Hill turned from provider to scorer with five minutes remaining, but the Blues just couldn’t find a fourth try as time ticked away.

Bedford return to Championship action next weekend with a trip to West London to face Ealing Trailfinders at Vallis Way.

Next Home Match

Saturday 21st September
1st XV Cup
Goldington Road