A 34-14 win over Rotherham Titans gave Bedford Blues two victories on the bounce in the Greene King IPA Championship.

The Blues ran in five tries yesterday to give them a bonus point victory, with Dean Adamson and Jordan Burns grabbing a score apiece, before Rich Lane ran in Bedford’s fifth with a superb solo effort.

The game started slowly, with the two sides battling in the midfield and the only real chance of note came in the fourth minute, when Adamson’s kick forward gave the winger something to chase, only for the ball to roll out of bounds.

He tried the same again just before the 10 minute mark but Rotherham winger Ben Foley was close enough to recover the ball to stop what could have been the opening score of the game.

The opening points came from the boot of Harry Sheppard to give Bedford a 3-0 lead with 12 minutes gone.

However, from kick off Bedford then added their first try of the game, with Sheppard the architect.

As he was being brought to the ground, the fly half played in George Edgson who charged forward before laying off the ball for Burns who ran in untouched for the score, with Sheppard adding the extras.

Rotherham then drove inside the Bedford 10 yard line but the home defence held firm to deny them any points.

A lot of battling in midfield followed but another break from the forwards set up the second with 33 gone.

Jarad Williams broke free and with Burns again in support, passed to the scrum half who touched down, with Sheppard again adding the extras.

Rotherham went forward, desperate to take some points in at the interval but were stung once more by the Blues.

With the final play of the half, some good hands from the backs saw Adamson run in for Bedford’s third try before the interval, with fullback Chris Czekaj playing in the winger just before he was brought down.

Sheppard added the conversion to give the hosts a 24-0 lead at the break.

The start of the second half was all Rotherham, as they spent close to ten minutes in Bedford territory.

They were rewarded with 54 minutes gone when Jake Henry touched down in the corner, with Caolan Ryan converting.

Bedford looked to restore their advantage and were set up nicely when captain Michael Le Bourgeois broke free to put Bedford inside the Titans’ 10 yard line soon after the hour mark.

From the following play, the ball was spread wide to the left and Adamson touched down for his second of the match in the corner, which Sheppard was unable to guide through the sticks to give the hosts a try bonus point.

However, Bedford weren’t done yet and the best was saved for last.

With just minutes left on the clock, Rich Lane saw some open turf ahead of him and turned on the afterburners, leaving replacement fullback Yiannis Loizias in his dust as he ran in for Bedford’s fifth, with Sheppard’s conversion going wide.

Rotherham battled back and added a try with the final play of the game, making their man advantage in the pack count after Will Carrick-Smith was sent to the sinbin.

Replacement hooker Charlie Maddison crashed over from a driving maul, before Peter Millar added the extras with the final kick of the game.

Next Home Match

Friday 1st March
1st XV Championship
Goldington Road