Match Report v Bristol

Bristol can consider themselves well and truly, the thorn in Bedford’s side after they once again overcame the Blues in the Championship.

Liam Middleton’s men ran in two tries through Luke Eves and George Watkins while Adrian Jarvis kicked eight points compared to two second half James Pritchard penalties.

Playing up the slope, the visitor’s started in determined fashion and were not going to allow Bedford anything form this game. There were two flare-ups between the forwards in the first five minutes and referee Ian Tempest spoke to both captain’s in a bid to calm things down. Jarvis missed a penalty attempt in the eighth minute, but he redeemed himself seven minutes later after the Blues were penalised for not releasing a tackle in front of their own posts. 

Bedford did show signs of promise in the first half with Luke Baldwin and Jake Sharp linking up on numerous occasions but the Bristol try line was never seriously threatened. Instead the visitors leapt on opportunities when they were presented and scored the first try in the 28th minute when Fautua Otto span the ball out to number eight Mitchell Eadie who passed it inside to Luke Eaves to score in the corner. Bedford continued to put pressure on the Bristol defence but the visitors held firm and refused to be breached. On the stroke of halftime, the Blues were again punished for failing to release a tackle and Jarvis made it 11-0 with the resulting penalty.

It was always going to be a big ask getting back into the game but Bedford finally got on the scoreboard in the 53rd minute with a simple enough Pritchard penalty. Hope was raised in the crowd, but from the restart Bristol nearly scored when the ball was spilt and the leapt upon it. Thankfully, a knock on from a Bris hand prevented more damage. It didn’t take long for Bristol to score again though and it was again in the left corner after some very nifty handling allowed George Watkins in and Jarvis added the extras.

Bedford immediately fired back with a second Pritchard penalty following a crossing call, but Bristol did everything they needed to do in the final 20 minutes to snuff out any Bedford attack.

Next Home Match

Saturday 18th August
1st XV Pre Season
Goldington Road