Ealing Trailfinders v Bedford Blues

Saturday, 24 October, 2015 - 14:00
1st XV Championship
Won 21-23

Rugby is an 80 minute game and Bedford needed every one of them as they overcame a tenacious Ealing Trailfinders side who find themselves rooted at the foot of the Championship table.

Steffan Jones converted a penalty with the final kick of the game to seal a 21-23 win and earn Bedford a valuable four points.

The home side started in fine fashion and were ahead in the seventh minute when scrum half Alex Davies converted a penalty after his pack put in a good scrum which caused the Bedford front row to buckle.

The minutes later and Jake Sharp levelled the scores after George Perkins made a superb break but was pinned down allowing Sharp to slot the ball through the sticks.

Ealing's reply as immediate and was the opening try of the afternoon. Former Blues James Stephenson cut through the defence with support from Alex Bradley. The ruck was formed before Tristan Roberts sent a cross field kick straight into Toby Howley-Berridge's hands for the score. Davies could not convert but Ealing led 8-3.

Three minutes later and the score was 15-3 as the Trailfinders struck again. A penalty gave then an attacking lineout which they exploited with a good drive before Alun Walker crashed over and Davies converted.

Bedford came back into it and were unlucky not to score when a huge driving maul from the edge of the 22 made its way to the 5m line. Ealing stopped the attack but lost Bradley who was carded although it wasn't clear if it was for the infringement or for something said to the ref.

The Blues made good use of the extra man and opened their account with a well taken try. Jordan Burns spotted space and galloped upfield before the ball came down the line to Piers O'Conor who was stopped short of the line. The fullback had his wits about him though and popped the ball to Dean Adamson who squirmed over in the corner. Sharp struck a superb conversion to make it 15-10.

A second Bedford try followed in the 24th minute when Hayden Thompson-Stringer saw space on the right wing following a Blues scrum. The number 8 stormed upfield before offloading to O'Conor who had a clear run to the line before Sharp added the extras to make it 15-17.

Ealing had Lenny of fight in them though and once back to a full compliment they got more opportunities. Davies missed a 29th minute penalty but made no mistake five minutes later as the Blues discipline let them down. Davies had a further attempt in the 38th minute but again it drifted wide as the half ended 18-17.

The second half was a true game of chess as both teams cancelled each other out. The kicking game was being utilised by both sides but neither could really benefit as stalemate set in.

However, Bedford got a chance on the 71 minute mark when great work by Biyi Alo earned the Blues a penalty which Jones dispatched from 40 metres out.

Things looked good but Ealing continued to press and duly won a penalty of their own with six minutes left on the clock which Davies converted.

Both teams went in search of a final try with Ealing knocking on the door late on before Bedford broke and made their way upfield only to throw the final pass to touch. Mike Howard pinched the lineout though before the hosts were penalised at the breakdown allowing Jones to become the hero.

Bedford have a weekend off before welcoming Yorkshire Carnegie to Goldington Road on 7th November.

Come on you Blues!!!

See more of Nigel Rudgard's images HERE

Next Home Match

Friday 23rd August
1st XV Pre Season
Goldington Road



See more pictures courtesy of Nigel Rudgard at