Bedford Blues v Moseley

Saturday, 12 September, 2015 - 15:00
1st XV Championship
Won 38-32

Bedford Blues made it two out of two in the Greene King IPA Championship when they beat Moseley 38-32 on Saturday afternoon.

Games between the close rivals are normally high scoring and this was no exception with ten tries in total being run in – six to the Blues and four to the visitors.  

Sam Blanchet, Ollie Dodge, Harry Wells, Jordan Burns and Paul Tupai all scored while Jake Sharp also crossed the whitewash as well as converting  four times.

On a sun-filled afternoon, it took the Blues just a minute to get on the score sheet. Sharp had got the game underway, but the Blues immediately won the ball back and went storming along the left wing with Blanchet cutting inside to score with Sharp converting.

Playing down the slope in the opening 40, Bedford looked to take advantage and they doubled their lead in the 11th minute. Bedford had plodded forward before Burns spotted a gap which he exploited perfectly before offloading to Michael Le Bourgeois who drew in the defender to play in Dodge. The centre had plenty to do as he rammed his way forward and then stretched as far as he could to dot down. Sharp converted the extras.

Moseley looked shell-shocked and their plight wasn’t helped when Bedford scored a third try just minutes later. Blanchet had space out on the wing once again and made yards before the ball was recycled and Sharp spotted space before popping the ball to Wells for a simple score which the fly half again converted.

The visitors were kicked into life and had the chance to get points on the board with a 19th minute penalty but Glyn Hughes, who kicked 18 points against London Scottish last week, pulled his effort wide.

Moseley continued to knock on the door and came close to a try only to be bundled into touch. The resulting lineout was spilt by Bedford though and former Blues Chris Brightwell was on hand to crash over from close range with Hughes converting to make it 21-7.

Bedford continued to look for a way through with Hayden Thompson-Stringer and Nick Fenton-Wells always looking to make yards while Steffan Jones put some smart kicks in to pin the visitors back in their 22.

Moseley breaks were few in the opening half, but they were starting to win penalties and Hughes made no mistake when the opportunity presented itself six minutes before the break to make it 21-10.

But the half was to finish with Bedford securing the try bonus point in an almost déjà-vu moment. Just as he did against Bristol last week, Sharp was in the right place at the right time to pluck a Moseley pass out of the air and then gallop clear of the cover defence to score. This time he even had enough puff to convert to and make it 28-10 at the break.

Just as they did in the first half, Bedford go off to an amazing start after the interval when Burns scored his first try for the club. Le Bourgeois and Jones exchanged passes to set up an attack before Burns was sent through and the young scrum half turned on the throttle to score an unconverted effort.

Moseley started to come more and more into the game and went through a really good patch when a penalty was awarded their way before being sent to the corner. The visitors pack had every intention of rumbling over but as the lineout was played, Mark Flanagan plucked the ball out of the air and Bedford were able to clear.

Things may have looked rosy for the Blues but they were soon reminded what Moseley were capable of when Drew Cheshire was given too much room out wide and he outpaced the Blues defence to score with Hughes converting in the 53rd minute.

The visitors started to enjoy a bit more of the ball and Cheshire was again able to cut the Blues defence open before Brightwell scored his second of the afternoon in the corner.

Two minutes later and Moseley secured their own try bonus point. Hooker Tom Warren threw a good lineout before joining the maul and rumbling over with Hughes converting to make it 33-29.

But Bedford were able to rely on ‘Old Faithful’ as the game entered the final ten minute. A penalty went to the Blues and Myles Dorrian put the kick in the corner rather than opting for a kick on goal. Charlie Clare found Josh Buggea with the lineout thrown and then the pack charged forward with Tupai carrying the ball at the back to score.

As the game entered stoppage time, Moseley were awarded a final penalty and Hughes made no mistake in popping it over the posts to secure his team a losing bonus point to go with the try one.

Bedford head out on the road again next week to face London Scottish.



For more of Nigel Rudgard's Pics, click HERE



See more pictures courtesy of Nigel Rudgard at