Bedford Blues v London Scottish

Saturday, 31 January, 2015 - 15:00
1st XV Championship
Lost 12-29

Bedford Blues slipped to a second defeat on the bounce as high flying London Scottish picked up a 12-29 victory at Goldington Road on Saturday afternoon.

It was a tough afternoon at the office for Bedford and their cause wasn’t helped as they conceded three yellow cards during an afternoon where discipline played an important role.

The game was just three minutes old when Miles Mantella opened the scoring for the visitors. The Exiles took in a lineout ball and drove forward into the Blues 22. Referee Ian Tempest stuck his arm out when the maul came crashing down, but Scottish played the advantage and used an overlap to score in the corner.

While Peter Lydon missed the conversion, he added a penalty three minutes later to make the score 0-8. Things didn’t get much better for Bedford as Scottish continued to dominate possession and territory. A 15th minute lineout was driven forward before Mark Bright broke off, side stepped the last defender and scored with Lydon converting.

London Scottish continued to suppress the Blues and they set up camp in Bedford’s 22 when Lydon kicked a penalty deep into touch. Ben Gulliver was carded in the 25th minute when he was judged to have brought down the rolling maul and two minutes later, Tom Williams followed for killing the ball in the red zone. London Scottish wanted a penalty try but they finally barrelled their way over in the 33rd minute with Bright coming up as the scorer and Lydon converting to make it 22-0.

Bedford finally kicked into gear with the half was coming to an end and Joe Vandermolen made some surging runs but handling errors ended a promising move and there was worry as Dean Adamson went down with a nasty looking leg injury.

Coming down the slope after the break, Bedford knew they needed to score first and they did just that. From the kick off the Blues put pressure on London Scottish and earned a penalty which went to touch in the Exiles 22. The forwards drove a maul forward before the ball came out and a smart chip went over the top forcing pressure on Lydon who slapped the ball out to touch and was carded for his efforts. The ref then ran under the posts and Pritchard converted to make it 7-22.

The wind was in Bedford’s sails and they did as much as possible to pen the visitors in their own 22. Jake Sharp and Steffan Jones – who replaced Adamson – were kicking well and Viliami Hakalo was putting in some big tackles when Scottish tried to break away.

Nick Fenton-Wells – playing his first game in three months – made an immediate impact when he latched onto a short Sharp pass before offloading to Tapley but as the winger tried to find the line, he was tackled and lost the ball forward.

Bedford’s pressure finally paid off with a tried and tested score. A penalty went to touch, the lineout was taken in well and Paul Tupai trundled over the line for an unconverted effort.

Sadly, that was as good as it got for the Blues and London Scottish turned the table and set up camp again in Bedford’s 22 as they searched for a fourth try. Replacement scrum half Darryl Veenendaal became the third Blue carded when he slapped the ball down as London Scottish went on the attack and from the resulting penalty, the visitors got the bonus point.

While Bedford defended a driving maul well after Dan Newton found touch, Bedford were one short in the backs and London Scottish exploited the numbers as the ball went down the line to Matt Williams for the score with Newton converting well to wrap things up 12-29.

The Blues will be back in action and looking to bounce straight back next weekend when they welcome Plymouth Albion to Goldington Road.


Next Home Match

Saturday 27th October
1st XV Championship
Goldington Road



See more pictures courtesy of Nigel Rudgard at