After being down by 14pts – 7 at half time, the Blues Academy had a strong second half to draw 19pts all with the Nottingham Academy on Sunday.

Nottingham started well and were first to score with a try from their strong running winger to go 7 pts ahead after 15 minutes.  Bedford hit back 10 minutes later when centre Paul Aguele scored from an interception.  Full back Liam Shields converted to make the scores 7 pts all.  Notts hit back when a loose pass from the Blues when counterattacking gave Notts the ball, and a dog-leg in defence allowed them to cut through and score under the posts.  The try was converted to give them a 14pts - 7 lead at half time.

Bedford started the second half well, when from the kick off they gained a penalty.  The ball was kicked to the corner and a food lineout saw the Blues drive 10m for flanker Jack Spurr to go over for a try, to make the score 14pts - 12.  Bedford then conceded a soft try from the kick off.  Failing to compete for the ball, they gifted possession to Notts, who kept the ball alive before they exploited a gap in the Blues defence to score in the corner, to make the score 19pts – 12 after 5 minutes.  The remainder of the half was evenly balanced, with good rugby being played by both sides.  Bedford scored the winning try with 5 minutes to go.  A scrum was won one the left hand side and the ball worked open and the Blues held short on the right.  The scrum followed and fly half Paddy McDuell went through a gap to score under the posts.  Shields converted to make the score 19pts all.  Both sides had chances to win the game in the last 5 minutes but both defences held and the game finished at 19ps all.

Blues Academy Director Denis Ormesher said ….. “This was an improved performance on our last few games.  We played the game with much greater tempo and at times put together some good rugby.  Our lineout did not work well, and we made a few errors in defence, giving us a few things we need to work on this week, but we were pleased with the improvement shown this week.  This was a good game of rugby, with both sides moving the ball well, helped by a very good referee.”

Bedford:   Ben Thompson, Charlie Robinson, Henry Peck, Cameron Lawes, Charley Harvey, Jack Spurr, Reuben Pritchard, Rahat Choudhury; Olly Howard (capt), Paddy McDuell;  Ross Taylor, Ben Phillips, Paul Aguele, Matt Shacklady; Liam Shields:  Replacements: George Harris, George Cave, Oli Pescott-Frost, Callum Strachan, Ethan Hughes, Jacob Turner, Callum Tormey, Malcolm Milligan, Max McMinn.